Mac & Cheese, Peas
This is a staple in our house, there is always a jar of 'cheese powder' in the fridge, at the ready for a quick and easy meal. Cumin, chili & red pepper give it a bit of spice, so just omit them if you prefer. I also use this powder as a base for making cheesy garlic sauce for spaghetti. This is an oil free recipe, but if you need to have that buttery consistency, just add a tablespoon of butter of your choice when you make the sauce.
Make it without the peas if you don't like them, but they add a pop of flavor, and add protein & fiber.
To make Mac &Cheese, Peas:
- Prep cheese powder
- Cook macaroni according to package
- While macaroni is cooking, in a medium sauce pan, heat 1/3 cup mixture plus 1/2 cup plant based milk per 1 cup cooked macaroni. Stir over low heat until combined and smooth.
- Add 1 cup frozen peas, (more or less if desired) and stir until covered
- Drain macaroni and add to saucepan.
- Mix until mac and peas are coated in saucy deliciousness.
2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon chili powder*
1/4 Tsp crushed red pepper*
1/4 Tsp oregano*
1/2 tsp paprika
1.5 tsp cumin*
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup flour of your choice
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1 cup raw cashews, chopped
*omit these ingredients if you prefer less spicy.
Blend all ingredients in food processor until powder forms with no chunks.
Store in fridge up to six months in sealed container